Sunday, January 10, 2010

Holiday entry 5

On 30th December which is the second day in Lombok, we went to lots of places. We started the day of early in the morning to Sheraton because at our hotel, there isn't any tours and guides. We got a driver/tour guide who first took us to a pottery place. At the front of the building there was a shop of potteries the staff made, and at the back was where you made it. My brother and I tried doing one. I made a swan with my name on it and my brother made a spotty dinasaur with his name on it. We bought some potteries but we had to wrap it and keep it tight in a box, or else it will brake in the airplane. We had to put our handmade pottery somewhere hot to dry because it needs to harden.
After we visited this place, we went to the weaving house that was closeby. My brother and I tried weaving the traditional way. My mom bought a sarong from the shop that we later saw. After we had a few drinks at the shop we left the place and went to visit traditional Lombok houses which were called Rumah Sasak. An interesting fact is that the houses were made out of cow manure. Really wierd and unusual... We went in the house and it was small. Only 2 rooms in the whole house with no doors or window or light. That's why the house was really dark. My brother and I bought our own frog instruments from a nearby village. It was a wooden frog with a slot in it, and you rub a wooden stick on it's spike. It imitates a frog's noise. As we exited the village, my dad made a donation.
 Then we headed of to the gem pearl shop where my mom bought a pearl ring. The next stop we went to was similar to the gem pearl shop but it was the pearl shop. I saw so many buses of tourists going to this shop. Mostly all girls, that is. Lombok is mostly famous for their pearls. My mom loves jewelry that she bought 6 things! The rest of us were left waiting. When my mom finished satisfying herself, the driver dropped us at a restaurent where we had our lunch, and then we went back to our hotel. I was so tired I wanted to relax. The day finaly ended. This day I visited a lot of traditional things and learnt some new techniques and learnt more about their culture. There is only one day left in Lombok....

No comments: