Monday, January 11, 2010

Family

Yesterday was my mom's birthday which was the 10/01/10. This was a cool year for her because the date is in a pattern, there won't be any date like this until 20100. My little brother sneaked in her room early in the morning before she woke up, and put his card on her bedside table, so when she woke up there would be a surprise awaiting. I gave her my decorated card after I was nicely cleaned up. She was really happy and appreciative when she received all our cards. As a birthday tradition, whoever is the birthday person gets a cake and a present. My dad went to Harvest and bought a chocolate cake that wrote "Happy Birthday Rose, 10/01/10. The cake was delicious! We went out to lunch at Penang Bistro which takes only 5 minutes from my house. My mom's hometown is near Penang. I ate Roti Canai Tissue, but it was such a large portion! That was delicious too. After we were done with our meal, we went back home and my mom opened her birthday gift, It was this really gorgeous, sparkling watch from Switzerland and she also got a casing for it. She was trying it on, admiring her gift. She got a banquet of roses, to match her name which is Roslina, and later on she displayed the flowers in a vase. She was supposed to get a spa treatment but unfortunately she had a tummy-ache. Poor her on her birthday. But then we played something to distract her from the pain.

We then played Congklak, a traditional Malaysian game where there are 10 holes with 5 shells in each and a home on a wooden bowl. You're supposed to move the shells in a strategic way, to get as many shells in your home hole. It's not as easy as it sounds, it's for people who like brain games, but sometimes it's luck. You also need patience. I was versing my mom, but in the end she lost. Then I versed my brother and he lost too. Everyone was trying to beat me, but the person who managed to was my older sister. They were happy that there was finaly a new champion! It was a really nice family day and I can't wait until my next family members' birthday which is in May.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

That sounds like an amazing day for a simple birthday with the family!! I love the way you write, the way it feels like I can just hear your voice speaking the words in my head..

Anonymous said...

It's nice how you gave your mom a surprise. I like how you described the cake and the game. Good job!