Monday, October 26, 2009

My first time on the sled

On a wintery day in Switzerland, I, a five year old, decided to go sledding for my first time. We arrived at a ski inn resort wearing mittens, ski jackets and snow goggles. My older sister, Farzana brought along her skis, because she already experienced the excitement before, and has reached the level of skiing. Instead of adult snow equipment, I brought along a red small sled that can only fit me and an adult. My family and I found a snowy hill that wasn’t overwhelming. We decided to use that one for me, for starters. My mom and I climbed up the hill passing people going down on their ski equipment. This was so exciting for me that I rushed my way up with the sled dragging along with me. When I finally reached at the top my mom set the red sled down. My mom sat at the front, while I clutched her back tightly, fearing I might fall. She pushed one foot and we were off! I felt a tingle and adrenaline rush as we went speeding down the hill. My heart was racing so fast like the speed I was going on my sled. I could feel the wind, briskly on my face going the opposite direction. My mom had to use the steering brake to dodge other people. I could see my family waiting at the bottom of the hill getting bigger and bigger until I reached the bottom of the hill.

You might know that kids are filled with enthusiasm and excitement. Since I was only a kid I was jumping up and down begging my mom to go again. We climbed up the same hill again a few times more, but my mom was exhausted. She didn’t want to tolerate me, so she let me go up a small hill, but alone. Here is where the trouble starts. I climbed up the hill with a wide grin on my face, once more and sat on my sled. I pushed off with all my might and went zooming down. At some part of the hill, I stopped at an abrupt halt, and was no longer on the sled anymore. It was so long ago, I can’t remember what went wrong, but what I do remember is I went flying off the sled, tumbling, rolling on and on. I saw the world going round and I felt dizzy. I could see tiny dots, which were my family, vividly. I appreciate that it was ice, or it would have hurt because it’s like doing 15 flips, my head getting squished. When I finally stopped all that chaos and reached the bottom of the hill, I landed at a very weird position, and I’m telling you it’s the worst -the splits. To add more of the embarrassment, my family was laughing at me, with a few other Swiss-goggled strangers. Now this is a very unforgettable first time.

No comments: